Renewal period for boat registrations has begun
The registration renewal period for boats in Iowa began Jan. 1, but this year’s renewal cycle has seen several significant changes compared to years past.
For starters, this year will be the first in which boat registrations and renewals are handled through the DNR’s Recreational Vehicle and Vessel Registration System. The new web-based system requires more information from owners than the previous paper-based system.
Boat owners are encouraged to supply the following information when they come to the Jasper County Recorder’s Office to renew their registrations. Registrations renewed by mail also will require the same information.
• The most current registration for your boat and the boat’s IA number.
• Make, model, model year, and color of your boat.
• Hull Identification Number.
• Length and width of the boat.
• Horsepower and capacity as indicated on the capacity plate of the boat.
• Propulsion method and boat type.
• Type of use for the boat.
• Phone Number (if renewing my mail).
Current boat registrations will expire April 30, and no renewal notices will be sent to boat owners. Because of the many changes and the use of the new computerized system and need to input new information, boat owners are encouraged to renew early and by mail.
Fee information can be obtained by phone by calling the Jasper County Recorder’s Office at (641) 792-5442. When renewing by mail, send to Jasper County Recorder’s Office, P.O. Box 665, Newton, IA 50208.
Since July 1, three major changes regarding the registration of boats has gone into effect in Iowa. They include a new “writing fee,” a new administrative fee, and new, smaller boat registration decals.
• Writing Fees — Starting July 1, the Jasper County Recorder’s Office began collecting a $1.25 “writing fee” on each “privilege,” such as registration renewal, instead of by transaction. Each new registration, registration renewal and title or lien issued on a boat will be assessed the writing fee.
• Administrative Fees — As a means of offsetting the expense of the development and use of the Recreational Vehicle and Vessel Registration System, the Jasper County Recorder’s Office began assessing a DNR administrative fees. Registrations are assessed a $3.65 fee and all other transactions are assessed a $1.50 fee.
• Boat Decals — Beginning July 1, the Jasper County Recorder’s Office began issuing new boat decals. Although the new decals are similar in design and will have the Iowa registration number printed on it, they are smaller in size — 3½ by 3½ inches in size.
More State News
- About 750 Iowans enrolled in marketplace plans
- Seven flee Des Moines house after basement fire erupts
- ISU survey shows 5.1 pct hike in farmland values
- Attorneys general warn FDA of new painkiller risks
- Records show more seclusion at Iowa Juvenile Home