The registration renewal period for boats in Iowa began Jan. 1, but this year’s renewal cycle will see several significant changes compared to years past.
For starters, this year will be the first in which boat registrations and renewals are handled through the DNR’s Recreational Vehicle and Vessel Registration System. The new web-based system requires more information from owners than the previous paper-based system.
Boat owners are encouraged to supply the following information when they come to the Jasper County Recorder’s Office to renew their registrations. Registrations renewed by mail also will require the same information.
• The most current registration for your boat and the boat’s IA number.
• Make, model, model year, and color of your boat.
• Hull Identification Number.
• Length and width of the boat.
• Horsepower and capacity as indicated on the capacity plate of the boat.
• Propulsion method and boat type.
• Type of use for the boat.
• Phone Number (if renewing my mail).
Current boat registrations will expire April 30, and no renewal notices will be sent to boat owners. Because of the many changes and the use of the new computerized system and need to input new information, boat owners are encouraged to renew early and by mail.
Fee information can be obtained by phone by calling the Jasper County Recorder’s Office at (641) 792-5442. When renewing by mail, send to Jasper County Recorder’s Office, P.O. Box 665, Newton, IA 50208.