Digital Access

Digital Access
Access newtondailynews.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
News, sports, local and regional entertainment and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.
Local

NFD responds to two house fires

A Sunday fire destroyed Marie Stack's residence at 314  E. 21st St. S.  The fire appeared to have started around the Christmas tree.
A Sunday fire destroyed Marie Stack's residence at 314 E. 21st St. S. The fire appeared to have started around the Christmas tree.

The Newton Fire Department responded to two house fires over the weekend.

The first fire occurred at 7:27 p.m. Friday at 222 First St. S. The fire started in the attic above the second-floor bathroom. Damage was contained to the bathroom, and the fire appears to have been the result of a short circuit in the electrical wiring located in the attic.

The resident of the house, Ron Hussey, was home at the time and heard something fall upstairs. When he went to investigate he found the fire and called 911. The house is owned by Levi Pence.

The second fire occurred at 9:03 p.m. Sunday at 314 E. 21st St. S. The fire appeared to have started around the Christmas tree that was still up and had its lights on. The owner of the home, Marie Stack, was at home and noticed the fire. She went to her neighbors to call 911, and the fire quickly spread in the living room and the rest of the house. The house was completely destroyed. Stack is currently staying with friends and family.

Loading more