The Newton City Council approved the sale of a property located at 302 S. Third Ave. E. to Michael and Jill Schub for $1,250 during its regular meeting Monday.
The city owned the property from a quit claim deed and accepted bids until 4 p.m. Monday. The council heard from Bryan Friedman, director of finance and development. He explained there were two bids placed from neighboring properties, but the Schubs had the highest bid. He recommended the council approve the sale.
The council also approved of the following:
• A resolution ordering bids; approving plans, specifications, form of contract, notice to bidders; ordering clerk to publish the notice to bidders and fixing a date for receiving same and for a public hearing on plans, specifications, form of contract, and estimate of costs for the Newton Sanitary Landfill expansion project.
• Reimbursement of $3,000 for the sanitary sewer discharge removal work at 803 E. 13th St. N. The property owners submitted a reimbursement application for $4,820, however, $3,000 is the maximum amount allowed for the work completed at that time.
• Combining the Park Department to a division in the Public Works Department. The new department will be called Parks and City Grounds.
• The payment of $1,710 to reduce the inflow of groundwater at 1105 S. Fifth Ave. W.
• Newton Mission and Vision Statement.
• Financial Analysis Workshop minutes for Dec. 13, previous council meeting minutes for Dec. 17 and bills.
Staff writer Matthew Shepard may be contacted at (641) 792-3121, ext. 425, or at email@example.com.