First Presbyterian Church to host ‘Glad Tidings — A Christmas Concert’ Sunday
First Presbyterian Church of Newton will continue its Sundays at Four concert series 4 p.m. Sunday with soprano vocalist Randye Jones presenting “Glad Tidings – A Christmas Concert” accompanied on the piano by Marlys Grimm.
The concert will feature arias from “The Messiah,” Christmas spirituals and other traditional songs. The concert is free and open to the public. A reception with refreshments will follow.
Jones has bachelor’s degree in music education from Bennett College in North Carolina, and her master’s degree in vocal performance from Florida State University. She is currently a doctoral student at the University of Iowa. Jones has gained international recognition for her research of African American vocalists and composers. She currently serves on the library staff at Grinnell College.
Grimm attended Sheldon High School and Central College, where she studied piano with Donald Gren. She has collaborated at Dordt, Northwestern, Grinnell, and Central colleges in student and faculty recitals. She is currently the accompanist for the Grinnell Oratorio Society, and staff accompanist at Central College and Newton High School.
More Local News
- NASCAR Chairman talks about Iowa Speedway purchase
- Newton Chamber of Commerce Christmas Party celebrates, awards businesses of Newton
- Downtown churches host 18th annual Christmas Walk
- From Cardinal to Calvary Scout: Vinnie Hoskins chose to serve his country after high school
- Blood drives planned in Kellogg, Newton