Teen shot by sheriff in hospital
DES MOINES (AP) — A teenager shot by an Iowa sheriff after authorities say he refused to drop a weapon remains in a Des Moines hospital.
The 17-year-old was shot on Friday after Hardin County Sheriff Timothy Smith responded to a report of someone shooting at a vehicle along a road north of Hubbard.
Smith told investigators when he confronted the teenager, the teen raised a gun toward him. The sheriff fired when the boy refused to drop the weapon.
The boy was flown to Mercy Medical Center. The Des Moines Register reported the hospital says the teen is in serious condition Monday.
Jessica Lown of the Iowa Department of Public Safety says the investigation is ongoing, but agents won’t be able to complete their report until they can talk to the teenager.
More State News
- Iowa DNR warns paddlers about cold water, debris
- USDA: Despite late start, record corn crop likely
- Iowa soybean farmers prepared to plant once conditions dry up
- USDA: Corn plantings pick up, but still behind
- Oskaloosa Ready To Pick Newest Restaurant