Teen shot by sheriff in hospital
DES MOINES (AP) — A teenager shot by an Iowa sheriff after authorities say he refused to drop a weapon remains in a Des Moines hospital.
The 17-year-old was shot on Friday after Hardin County Sheriff Timothy Smith responded to a report of someone shooting at a vehicle along a road north of Hubbard.
Smith told investigators when he confronted the teenager, the teen raised a gun toward him. The sheriff fired when the boy refused to drop the weapon.
The boy was flown to Mercy Medical Center. The Des Moines Register reported the hospital says the teen is in serious condition Monday.
Jessica Lown of the Iowa Department of Public Safety says the investigation is ongoing, but agents won’t be able to complete their report until they can talk to the teenager.
More State News
- USDA Farm Storage Loans Available
- Tyson adds beef, chickens to animal welfare rules
- Iowan prayed to God while saving kids from fire
- Dubuque leaders seek to dump greyhound racing
- Iowa nursing home fined for sex offender lapse