Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
News, sports, local and regional entertainment and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

Recorder’s office accepting registration renewals for ATVs, ORVs, snowmobiles

Current registrations on ATVs, ORMs, ORVs and snowmobiles expire Dec. 31.

The renewal period for off-highway vehicles began Sept. 1. According to Jasper County Recorder Nancy Parrott, this year will be the first time that vehicles are registered and renewed through the Recreational Vehicle and Vessel Registration System (RVVRS). The new system requires additional information than the prior electronic registration system and requires that vehicles be entered into RVVRS at a county recorder’s office, similar to how vehicles were entered into ELSI in 2007-2008. ORMs will no longer be registered as ATVs and will have their own designation.

To make this transition as easy as possible, bring or send the following information to renew a registration:

• The most current registration for your vehicle.

• Make, model, model year and color of your vehicle.

• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

• Weight and Engine Displacement (CCs).

• Number of wheels.

Also needed is the following owner’s information:

• Driver’s license number.

• Social Security number.

• Owners Date of Birth.

This year, due to RVVRS, the Jasper County Recorder’s Office is strongly urging owners to renew by mail. Renewals can be sent to Jasper County Recorder, P.O. Box 665, Newton, IA 50208, over the counter in the recorder’s office between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The over-the-counter renewal fee for ATVs, ORVs and ORMs is $17.75. To renew by mail, the fee is $18.75. The over-the-counter renewal fee for snowmobiles is $17.75 plus $17.75 for the user permit. To renew snowmobiles by mail, the fee is $18.75 plus $17.75 for the user permit.

If renewing by mail, include a daytime phone number in addition to the above vehicle and personal information needed.

Changes effective since July 1 include the following:

• IDNR User Permits — All snowmobiles operated on public land and ice in the State of Iowa must display an IDNR user permit in addition to the registration decal issued from Iowa or another state.

• Off-Road Utility Vehicles — ORVs will be required to be registered and titled in accordance with Iowa Code Chapter 321I.

• Proof of Insurance — Iowa Code 321.20B provides that a person shall not drive a motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless financial liability coverage is in effect for the motor vehicle and the driver has in the motor vehicle the proof of financial liability coverage card issued for the motor vehicle. The exception for ATVs and ORVs was rescinded effective July 1.

Loading more