WaterWorks to flush hydrants this week
Newton WaterWorks will flush fire hydrants north of First Avenue and Bittersweet Subdivision beginning Friday from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. Saturday.
Fire hydrants for all customers south of First Avenue then will be flushed beginning at 10 p.m. Saturday and continuing until 6 a.m. Sunday.
Fire hydrants are flushed several times a year to clear the water mains of internal corrosion and residue that builds up naturally in the water mains.While no interruption in water service will occur as a result of the work, Newton WaterWorks officials advise customers that they may experience some drop in water pressure or some discoloration of their water.
The discoloration will clear up in a few minutes if the cold water tap is allowed to run. Residents should not run the hot water or do laundry until the cold water side is cleared up. Some customers have questioned why not all hydrants are flushed. Only those that provide the greatest flow and those that are on dead end streets are opened.
For more information, or to express concerns or ask questions, call Newton WaterWorks at (641) 792-2003 or (641) 792-1460.
More Local News
- NASCAR Chairman talks about Iowa Speedway purchase
- Newton Chamber of Commerce Christmas Party celebrates, awards businesses of Newton
- Downtown churches host 18th annual Christmas Walk
- From Cardinal to Calvary Scout: Vinnie Hoskins chose to serve his country after high school
- Blood drives planned in Kellogg, Newton