Des Moines Lincoln school board dismisses two football coaches
DES MOINES (AP) — The Des Moines Lincoln school board has dismissed a coach who punished a player who criticized the football team in a Twitter posting.
The board voted 4-2 on Wednesday night to dismiss Lincoln High coach Tom Mihalovich. Assistant coach Kevin Johnston also was dismissed.
School district investigators say the coaches broke policies for bullying, harassment and corporal punishment. A district report says Mihalovich forced the player to submit to bullying, harassment and excessive conditioning drills.
Nearly two dozen Lincoln team members were in the crowd of more than 100 people who attended the disciplinary session.
Mihalovich said after the vote that he was disappointed, “because that’s my school, that’s my home.” He says the report was “full of falsehoods” that disparaged him.
More Local News
- Cards fall to Pella 4-2 in a physical matchup
- Hainer, Samson win Class 2A state championships
- Kalkhoff leads Cards with second at state
- Newton girls' conference title hopes dashed by Dutch
- PCM boys golf returning to state after district victory