South Tama cross country runner dies following accident
DES MOINES, (AP) — A teenage cross country runner from Toledo has died after he was hit by a car while running near Tama.
Officials say 13-year-old Ian McFate was injured Monday afternoon. He was running on a trail that crosses a county road near Tama when he was hit. McFate was taken to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.
Hospital spokesman Gregg Lagan says McFate died Tuesday afternoon.
The accident remains under investigation.
More State News
- About 750 Iowans enrolled in marketplace plans
- Seven flee Des Moines house after basement fire erupts
- ISU survey shows 5.1 pct hike in farmland values
- Attorneys general warn FDA of new painkiller risks
- Records show more seclusion at Iowa Juvenile Home