Supervisors approve bridge contract for S. 52nd Ave. E.
Work is expected to begin soon on a bridge replacement project on South 52nd Avenue East. Jasper County Engineer brought the contract to the Board of Supervisors for approval at its regular meeting Tuesday.
County Engineer Russ Stutt told the supervisors that the bridge over Sugar Creek in Richland Township will be replaced with a reinforced concrete bridge. The work was awarded to Herberger Construction Co. of Indianola for the low bid of $228,265.44, which includes a 20 percent local match. Although Stutt said he anticipated the work to begin soon, the construction crew has until July 15, 2013, to begin the work, and 70 working days to complete. The bridge currently is closed to traffic.
In other action Tuesday, the supervisors:
• Approved a low bid from Brooker Corp. for $13,792 to remove a faulty controller in a condenser unit at the Jasper County Law Enforcement Center. Maintenance Director Adam Sparks said the current unit has been leaking freon. The air conditioning unit runs constantly in at least some parts of the facility all the time, and this is considered an emergency fix.
Sparks said the unit should not have broken within seven years, but occasionally breaks do occur.
The supervisors also approved a bid from Brooker to replace a freezer door at the Jasper County Community Center. The freezer units were all replaced about a year and a half ago, but the original door was retained. Now, the door has warped and is not sealing well, causing condensation on the floor and creating a hazard.
• Agreed to give Vital Systems a three-month notice of termination for their services in the information technology department. Supervisor Joe Brock said the county has been very pleased with the services from Vital, but they may not be needed in the future.
• Approved the hiring of Patti Van Zee as part-time clerk in the Recorder’s Office at a pay rate of $15.42 per hour, effective Oct. 1.
John Jennings can be contacted at (641) 792-3121 ext. 425 or via email at email@example.com.
More Local News
- St. Luke to host Big Christmas Sale this Saturday
- Newburg Chester Church sets new Operation Christmas Child record
- Gingerbread Joy
- Community Bank donates to St. Nick's
- Close of annual meeting presents new opportunity for Jasper County Library Board