Newton fire crews respond to smoke-filled house, elderly resident taken to hospital
An early afternoon house fire sent an elderly Newton resident to the hospital Friday, as a mail carrier noticed the smoke coming from the home and called 911.
The fire happened at 523 N. Third Ave. E. at approximately 12:15 p.m. Newton police and fire crews responded to the incident, blocking off the avenue's 500 block. The indentity of the elderly resident has not yet been released by investigators, but according to the Jasper County Assessor's parcel website the home is owned by Maryann Ringgenberg.
Witnesses at the scene saw the resident walk out of the home to an ambulance with the assistance of Newton rescure crews. The U.S. Postal Service employee that reported the fire said that she checked to see if someone was home and found the resident disoriented walking out the structure's back door covered in soot.
If you have any technical difficulties, either with your username and password or with the payment options, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org