Class of ‘47 grad enjoyed recent reunion
To the Editor,
I have just returned to Arizona after attending my 65th high school reunion in Newton. What a wonderful page I have for my memory books! A special thanks to my son, John E. Billingsley, for my transportation, room and board, special tours — including the beautiful Agnes Patterson Park — and for being my escort at all of the events.
On behalf of all my classmates, we thank Bill Shields, our class president; Avery Wilson; Doris Douglas Fisher for the award winning Window Walk; Carol Soderbloom Proctor; and David Hammer. I know there are others, too, so thank you all.
My husband, John S. Billingsley, deceased, was our class poet. It was my honor to read the class poem he wrote in 1947 at the Saturday night dinner. The class poem written 65 years ago would have been just as appropriate for the Class of 2012. We all enjoyed hearing from the mayor and principal at the Saturday night breakfast.
A few things have not changed, including the Maid-Rite and, thankfully, the Newton Daily News. My memories are of Pete McCoy. Thanks to Newton and all my friends there.
Cleo Jones Billingsley
Class of ‘47
Sun City West, Ariz.
More Letters to the Editor News
- Disappointed for the Iowa Veterans Home
- Reader: thankful, proud to be Newton native
- King visit highlighted use of mindless words
- Reader's letter helps correct Wall database error
- Jasper County Freedom Flight Committee thanks citizens for support of Wall That Heals
- Skiff ad brings tears to reader's eyes
- Parents should ensure children are properly vaccinated
- One more thing the government does to take American Natives down
- Progress Industries, Iowa Speedway foundations thank 8K sponsors