Memorial Day activities
• St. John’s Cemetery, located in northern Jasper County, will have an open house at the cemetery from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Saturday. For more information, contact Lori Korte at (641) 792-8164.
• Ashton Chapel and Cemetery will host a Memorial Day service from 9 to 10 a.m. Monday with Pastor Dave Rex of the Bar None Cowboy Church of Iowa serving as the guest speaker. Immediately following the program in the church, the children of the community will be invited to help place flowers on the graves of veterans and the grave of the Unknown Soldier. The American Legion of Mingo will present a 21-gun salute.
Ashton Chapel and Cemetery are located in the northwest corner of Jasper County just north of Mingo at 8887 W. 122nd St. N. All are invited to attend the event.
• The fourth annual Memorial Golf Day, sponsored by Golf for Injured Veterans Everywhere (G.I.V.E.), is inviting all veterans to a round of golf on Memorial Day at Westwood Golf Course in Newton. The event will begin at 8 a.m. Interested veterans should call Hank Britton at (641) 521-6564 to register.
• The Camo Warriors Second Annual Disc Golf Tourney is planned for Monday at Maytag Park in Newton to benefit a selected soldier from the Iowa Army National Guard who has been seriously injured. The event will feature two rounds of 18 holes. Registration will be from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Monday, with a player meeting at 9:15 a.m. and tee off time of 9:30 a.m.
The entry fee is $15. Available divisions includes open, advanced, intermediate, grand masters, masters, womens and novice juniors for ages 14 to 16 and 13 and younger. Contact Randy Marchant at (515) 402-1505 for more information.
• Wittemberg Cemetery will have a Memorial Day service at 9 a.m. Monday.
The American Legion color guard will begin the service. Those who plan to attend are advised to bring lawn chairs.