Sen. Grassley announces nominations of Iowans to U.S. Service Academies
WASHINGTON – Sen. Chuck Grassley recently announced his nomination of several young Iowans to the United States service academies.
“Every year we see a high caliber of young men and women from Iowa who are interested in serving their county in our military service academies,” Grassley said. “I’m confident that these nominees will represent our state well and I’m happy to nominate them.”
Grassley nominates several young Iowans each year for a select few spots. Each academy then selects students based on the number of vacancies for the 2010-2011 school year. Often, because of the high quality of nominations from Iowa, several students are selected to attend each academy.
Grassley praised the outstanding group of Iowa students who applied for academy nominations and encouraged eligible students to consider submitting applications in the future.
“This year was a highly competitive selection process and it once again was very difficult to narrow the list of nominees,” Grassley said.
Grassley will issue announcements when appointments to the academies are offered. His nominations are listed below:
• U.S. Air Force Academy — Daniel Bieber, Cherokee, Washington High School; Emily Bohnenkamp, Burlington, Notre Dame High School; Alexander Clopton, Cedar Falls, Cedar Falls High School; Michael Craighton, Urbandale, Iowa Christian Academy; Edward Ehlert, Atlantic, Atlantic High School; Alexander Herzberg, Villisca, Villisca High School; Daniel Klinge, State Center, Concordia College; Knute Klinker, Primghar, Northwest Iowa Community College; Lance Parker, Indianola, Indianola High School; Jonathan Schneider, Marion, Linn Mar High School.
• U.S. Military Academy — Daniel Allen, Granville; Andrew Ashton, Solon, Iowa City West High School; Evan Buck, Anamosa, Anamosa High School; Christiana Fairfield, Iowa City, Iowa City West High School; Elise Hill, Waukee, Waukee Community High School; Daniel Jensen, Urbandale, Urbandale High School; Nicholas Junker, Van Meter, Van Meter High School; Matthew Karamanlis, Urbandale, Waukee High School; Zachary Matson, Fairfield, Fairfield High School; Ethan Moorman, Centerville, Centerville High School; Ryan Raaf, Coralville, Iowa City West High School; Matthew Rogowski, Des Moines, Des Moines Lincoln High School; Jase Schossow, Marshalltown, East Marshall High School; Christopher Brent Smith, Pella, Pella High School; Steven Tallon, Mondamin, West Harrison High School; Samuel Thompson, Clive, Waukee High School; Victoria Walling, Martelle, Cedar Valley Christian; Wayne Worthington, Waterloo, Waterloo West High School.
• U.S. Naval Academy — Brett Bogaard, Pella, Pella Community High School; Joshua Chappell, Lowden, North Cedar High School; Alexander Cleveland, Council Bluffs, Abraham Lincoln High School; Ian Conte, Clive, Valley High School; Joseph Gallet, Atkins, Cedar Rapids Washington High School; Brook Gillen, Norwalk, Norwalk High School; Tyler Jacobsma, Sioux Center, Sioux Center Community High School; Zachary Johnson, Clear Lake, Clear Lake High School; Matthew Lord, Sioux City, Bishop Heelan High School; Matthew Schneider, West Des Moines, Valley High School.
• U.S. Merchant Marine Academy — Max Crum, Cumming, Norwalk High School; Andrew Hill, Bettendorf, Bettendorf High School; Kristina Walz, Monona, Central Community Schools.
More State News
- Iowa DNR warns paddlers about cold water, debris
- USDA: Despite late start, record corn crop likely
- Iowa soybean farmers prepared to plant once conditions dry up
- USDA: Corn plantings pick up, but still behind
- Oskaloosa Ready To Pick Newest Restaurant